Tuesday, September 05, 2017

Tanner Tuesday

April 7, 2002 - September 1, 2017

Many of you saw this news on Facebook, but Tanner passed away on Friday evening.

He had been at the vet since Thursday around noon receiving IV fluids and a different antibiotic.  We hoped that if he were to get re-hydrated that he would be interested in eating.  Unfortunately this didn't happen.  He still seemed relatively perky but for him to continue to not eat was a concern.  

We discussed a feeding tube, but didn't think that was the best option for Tanner.  He has been through enough and seemed to be saying he was ready to go.  His joy was gone, food and playing.  He was alert but just sitting there.  The vet believes strongly that his cancer had returned, and the best thing for him was euthanasia.

I went to the vet, with Auntie, around 5:20 to spend some time with him before his vet arrived at 6.  He was out of town at another location that day and was traveling back.  He ended up stuck in traffic and horrible rain storms, and wasn't going to be back until closer to 7pm.  We decided to let the vet on duty do it and it was all very peaceful.  

We were able to snuggle with Tanner while we waited and he was purring up a storm for us.  He didn't seem uncomfortable, other than still being congested.  I was able to tell him what a good cat he had been and that he could send us someone when the time was right.  I don't know that I'll ever have a cat that is as tolerant as Tanner...he was a special boy!

Tanner is now at the bridge, completing the original Four Crazy Cats.  I'm sure he is eating at the buffet every chance he gets!

I want to thank you all for the purrs and cheers over the years for my boy.  You encouraged him when he was trying to lose weight and then supported him when fighting cancer.  You gave me three extra years with my orange boy, with your thoughts and purrs.  Thank you!



12 comments:

  1. I am so very sorry on the loss of your beloved Tanner. It is so hard to say goodbye, even if it's only temporary. I believe we reunite and I hope you hold that too, because I feel knowing this helps a bit ease the sorrow and big hole in our hearts of the furry ones we lose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am absolutely broken-hearted for you, obviously this was not the outcome we all had hoped and prayed for. My thoughts are with you, and Nicki and Derry send soft purrs. Godspeed to Tanner, peace to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry. Tanner was a really special guy, and you were gifted three extra years with him that you will always treasure - and we'll treasure too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart breaks for you. Tanner fought so hard the past 3 years, but the time inevitably comes when they can fight no more. He is at peace and reunited with his angel family. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are so very sorry. You're right...Tanner had been through a lot and was such a fighter...and so tolerant of everything. We wish he could have made it through this latest episode, but that wasn't to be. Sending you lots of comforting purrs. We will miss Tanner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so deeply sorry to hear about dear Tanner. That sweet boy sure fought an amazing battle. Love and hugs from all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're heartbroken to hear of Tanner's passing. What an amazing boy he was, so special and such a fighter. Sending love, purrs and prayers as you remember your beloved mancat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear God I didn't know. I am so deeply, deeply sorry. Sweet Tanner. What a fighter he was, what a good boy. He endured so much. He tried so hard. I know you have to be beyond devastated. My heart is just breaking for you. I thought he would rally again as he always did. I am so deeply, deeply sorry. Sending you love and prayers ((((hugs))))) xoxo catchatwithcarenandcody

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are so very sorry to learn you've lost Tanner. What a brave fighter he was. A warm hug, purrs and paw taps from all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry for the loss of Tanner, but I feel you made the right decision, and he was probably very tired ! He is breathing freely now, playing and eating with all his old mates. Fly free, sweet boy !

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry. Tanner was a beautiful boy. XO

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMC - we just saw this and are so very sorry that Tanner ran for the Bridge and that we missed it. purrs....

    ReplyDelete

We love comments...meows and purrs please!