Oliver went to the vet this morning for his chin. The vet claims it is the worst case he has ever seen! We reminded Oliver that it isn't a competition! The vet poked and prodded and took some cultures of the pus. The zits are deep in the hair follicle tracks on the chin. At one point, he had a whole tip of a q-tip in his chin, so these are not superficial zits! Oliver did well, all things considered!
Oliver got a depo injection today to hopefully help with the inflammation and make him more comfortable. He is starting on Zenequin, an oral antibiotic (once a day pill). We will stay on this until the culture comes back and then, either continue or change depending on what the culture shows. We can keep doing the warm compresses, but can stop the ointment because it isn't getting deep enough to be effective. After 48 hours, we can start combing again to help keep the tracks open and oozing. We are waiting a couple of days to let the steroid kick in.
We are both hoping this is a one-time weirdness that Oliver has developed, however, if it returns here are some steps we are going to take...
Biopsy - to see if it is a rare bacteria
Food Trial - to see if he is allergic to his food
Once those are done and results back, he would see the dermatologist at the vet school.
Thanks for the suggestions and words of encouragement and healing in the comments yesterday! Continued purrs would be appreciated.