Thursday, September 04, 2014

Thankful Thursday

Updated: Just heard from the vet...Smokey is not responding to treatment at all.  His numbers have not improved.  He is telling us it is time to go.  Smokey will be crossing the bridge in the morning, at home, in his favorite bed, surrounded by love and family.
 
 
Today, I am thankful for the blogging community and friends!  Thank you all for the support you are showing me and Smokey, (and Tanner) at this time.  Thank you Ann for the wonderful graphic and for spreading the word about Smokey.
 
Smokey is at the vet for day three of fluid therapy...he seems a bit perkier today, is walking/standing better, and is cooperating at the vet's office!  He still does not want to eat much, if at all, on his own.  The vet used a syringe yesterday and fed him 1/4 can of AD food.  I hope if we can support him and get some more food into his system, he will feel better and want to eat on his own.  Eating is something we have struggled with for months though, although not to this extreme!
 
Today, he will have his blood work rechecked, and I hope we will see the numbers going in the right direction.  If not, other decisions may need to be made.  The vet has listed his prognosis as "guarded" at the moment, so we are taking things slow and are thankful for any small improvements we see.
 
I'm not exactly sure all the meds he is getting at the vets office, but this is what I do know:
- Cerenia (nausea)
- Clavamox (antibiotic)
- Something to help bring the phosphorous levels down
- IV fluids
 
A couple of things I am truly thankful for are:
1) Timing - so thankful I did not treat the Hyper-Thyroid at the radiation center earlier this year when we determined he had a problem.  I have had many wonderful months with my Goose!
2) I am thankful we held off on doing the blood work until August, and did not do it at the visit in July...the pet sitter would have been dealing with this problem because I would have been out of the country!
3) Very thankful that Tanner is doing well, and at least for the time being, I am focusing my main attention on one sick boy instead of two.
 
Things happen for a reason, and at the right time!
 
I appreciate all the comments on the last post, and the suggestions many of you made about alternative care options.  I plan to research those suggestions and may be contacting some of you for more information!
 
Thank you all for the continued purrs and prayers!

18 comments:

  1. I know you and Smokey (and Tanner too) still need lots of purrs, so I am sending them your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are sending you lots of purrrs for Smokey and for all of you. Hope to hear good news soon.

    hugs, Bugsy and Knuckles

    ReplyDelete
  3. we read the update and we are very sorry....but sometimes the best thing the humans can do is love us enough to know when to let go. purrs.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're so sorry to hear that Smoky is not doing well. We're sending you all lots of purrs and prayers.

    The Florida Furkids

    ReplyDelete
  5. smokey....we never got two noe ewe but we still send purrayers for a peace full crossing; we R glad ewe will be at home with yur familee N most important lee... yur mom..♥♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never got to know you either dear Smokey as I learned about you when I learned about Tanner.

    I am so sorry about what you have been through and are going through. Loving our little ones brings tears and heartache at times and I send love and comfort to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry Smokey has failed to respond to his treatment. I send purrs for a peaceful crossing for your boy. Mum sends (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh we're so sorry to hear this news. We purr for Smokey and for you...and hope his crossing is peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are so sorry to hear the news about dear Smokey. Please know we are thinking about you and send our best purrs, love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Am sending you our love, purrs and support during this very very tough time. Know we are all there with you in our hearts tomorrow.
    Marty's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are so sorry that it will be Smokey's time to journey to the Bridge. Thank you for loving him so very much. Hugs, purrs and prayers to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our thoughts are with you at this very sad time.
    Purrs ... Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  13. We just read your update and are so sad for you and your precious Smokey. Surrounding you and Smokey with light and love as you share your final time together...

    Be Well Sweet Smokey

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh no...we are so sad to read that Smokey's time has come. We are thinking of you, and sending comforting purrs.

    xx The Lounge Cats and Trish

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just heard of Smokey's crossing. I am very sorry for your loss. His family is in our prayers of comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so sorry to hear about Smokey passing.

    XO,
    JC and The Purr and Fur Gang

    ReplyDelete
  17. We are so sorry to hear of your loss, and are particularly sorry that we are not finding out until now. Mau is very upset, what with OliverHughes being a Cat Scout, and our family not being able to offer our condolences until now. You all are in our purrs and prayers and will remain there as you mourn and try to heal. XO, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth and Calista Jo

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so very sorry to hear about your loss. Many purrs of healing and comfort for you during this difficul time.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments...meows and purrs please!